ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Beth A. Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:07:50 -0500
This is my first post to this list, but I've been watching UMaine hockey
for a few years now.  I guess I find myself to be a bit more critical of
the team given the fact that I was raised in a hockey family where
critique was used to develop a better player.

I went to both Providence and Northeastern and at each game I saw Maine
taking far too many penalties.  At Northeastern it was a power play goal
that led to a tie at the end of the first period.  I don't know off hand
what Maine's official penalty kill percentage is but its the fact that
the spend a whole lot of time on the defensive during the game.  Some
cheap shots led to some bad penalties at Northeastern.

The other thing I noticed at the Northeastern game (I had better seats
there so I noticed a lot more!) was that Benedetto was whistle happy.
Every time the NU goalie even looked at the puck he was blowing the
whistle and stopping play.  There were some possible rebound
opportunities that Maine lost out on because of that.

Just some thoughts.  Overall the guys looked great.  Morrison was
outstanding.  Maine has been fortunate to have great goalies.
Unfortunately, Maine faced a couple of hot goalies this past weekend in
Providence and Northeastern!

Beth Dixon '96