ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:22:13 -0400
I believe this is the Jim Baines article Bob was referring to.. -dt

One Down, One to Go
By: Jim Baines
Date: 9/5/2000

"We're close to beating cancer (as a whole). There's no question. My
prediction is within five to seven years, it's going to be beaten like
polio was beaten in the early 1900s." -- Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh
on WZON's "Hang Time with Dan Hanningan" on Tuesday.
Leave it to the play-by-play voice of UMaine hockey to talk with Shawn
Walsh first. Dan Hannigan spoke with the UMaine hockey coach on Tuesday
afternoon in a taped interview aired on his daily show, "Hang Time."
Walsh just returned over the weekend from his first of two cycles of
immunotherapy for treatment of a cancer of the lymph nodes behind his
breast plate. Walsh had a cancerous left kidney removed in July.
Until the second cycle begins at the end of this month, it's back to
work.
"Friday, I had my last heavy dose," Walsh told Hannigan. "Saturday,
they released me. Sunday, we flew home. And Monday, I was running a
freshman meeting. I don't think my doctor might light that schedule,
but it was fine. I feel stronger today (Tuesday). I'm expecting
tomorrow and the next day I'll feel at lot stronger."
The medication operates on twenty-day cycles: five days on, ten days
off, then five days on again. The treatment itself is no picnic.
"It's like the worst flu you've ever had," said Walsh. "In the first
five-day segment I had, in the final three days, I think I vomited 13
times. It just completely drops you of any zip you've got. But, you get
your strength back."
Walsh added that the nausea and diarrhea are a small price to pay for
what the medication does.
"In the second go-around, I wasn't able to take as many dosages, which
is what's expected, because you have the residual amount for the first
go-around. It was tough, but darn it, it was tough building this hockey
program. You just deal with it and move forward."
Walsh had kudos for the staff at the ..... at the UCLA Medical Center
and the advances they have made in fighting cancer, and his kind in
particular.
"It's very, very rare in the United States that you can get this
(medication) in high doses. It's something that's very toxic. You
almost need a one-on-one nurse/patient relationship to watch you.
That's the risk they take, but they're very well-funded out there, and
they're willing to do that."
While Walsh says he feels stronger every day, the actual results won't
be known for several weeks, at least.
"We're hoping that just prior to the start of the second cycle, we may
get an idea if the tumors have had any shrinkage .. or elimination.
They may wait until the whole thing is over until they take a definite
look."
Now back in Orono, Walsh will continue with his usual September duties.
While dry-land training commences -- which doesn't involve Walsh -- the
coach will prepare for on-ice practices, which will start at midnight
on the morning of September 24. If the current immunotherapy schedule
keeps, Walsh will return from the second cycle the weekend of the Black
Bear Classic, but most likely would not coach until Homecoming vs. Ohio
State the following weekend.
Rumors of Walsh's celebrity company held true. Actor Kurt Russell,
originally of Rangeley Lakes, housed Walsh for some of the trip.
"Kurt and Goldie Hawn have been so good to (wife) Lynne and I and our
family. Kurt and I played golf twice in between (five-day) sessions, so
I did get my strength back, and really had some fun.
"Until he hit a shot one foot from the pin on the last hole to beat
me."