ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:58:42 -0500
To the list:

These comments are to the list because of a Sarah Dubay posting, and they
include a public comment to Nonni Daly, because she remarked about me by
name on this list without any private communication to me beforehand.

I am very troubled that there seems a terrible result to the thread
concerning the medical
condition of Shawn Walsh and information about his care.

I do not know Coach Walsh as well as you two ladies think I should; I first
of all wish to apologize for not knowing, yet having done something which
may hurt him.  I never EVER wished him harm and I will remain forever
anguished that he may be unnecessarily disturbed as a result of my actions.

Mark Brown is very much on point as to what I intended, and I comment to
him also publicly
for rising to my defence.  Thank you.  And thanks to Sarah for her
understanding that people want to do something under these circumstances,
and her temperate and non-personal remarks.

This is a stressful time for all of us with a sincere interest in the Maine
program.   This ordeal,  given its seriousness, surely has clouded our
judgement so that some have acted, or NOT acted, more on impulse or with
less care than if it were another person, or a less devastating issue
involving Coach Walsh.

I must, however, surely not be alone in wanting to do something, but not
getting a lot of clear and authoritative signals as to what we
can/should/ought to and ought NOT to do.

From out of this terrible misunderstanding, I offer what I think is a
positive suggestion:

We can take some things away with us from these events and prepare...

The situation with Coach might be duplicated later; let's say, if a current
player had a
serious injury, or was diagnosed with a medical condition as now with
Coach.  It would be "obvious" that those with strong sincere feelings
toward the program would wish to do something for that person in trouble.
But what ?

Should similar circumstances arise in the future, University officials
should if at all possible promptly (with dignity) determine the wishes of
the affected person or their family as to what level of contact is desired
with program supporters and put the word out quickly and everywhere
possible.   It might forestall a similar result as in this case.

If the person and/or family decided:  "He does not want any outside
distractions...The last thing he said to me was to tell people the best
thing they could do for him was to leave him alone.  I beg you not to mail
anything..."  I would hope that the best efforts possible would be made to
quickly put that admonishment in all press releases, making specific
emphasis to the media to report that, and also post that information to
this list once the wishes are known.

My posting was a result of a reaction to certain information publicly
available.  That is: I followed on one thing I DID see in several places in
the media, and did so because something else WASN'T said in the same places
(or on this list, for that matter).  Hence, my subject heading:  we do know
Coach is going here...

As the name of the Boston hospital was not initially disclosed (which I do
know now from a weekend report post-surgery) it seemed that procedure and
that time was to be private.  The California institution was specifically
named in the press, so I thought it was not "private".

What was NOT said ?  Missing from any press report -- nor in posts to this
list from people much closer to the situation than me -- nor on the
"message board" alternative was a message saying:

"Tell people the best thing they could do for him was to leave him alone.
I beg you not to mail anything..."

I absolutely respect that, now that it's clearly said.  I do hope the same
"no hospital contact" instructions are posted on both the "official"
website and on the private messageboard IMMEDIATELY.   I would not want
Coach to be harmed by communications from other persons, especially those
who do not see these list proceedings.

Perhaps, though, many already have sent cards (some, perhaps, not because
of anything I did) -- possibly even to the Boston hospital ( again -- I did
not name it here nor have I ever).   Might I suggest that Coach not see
anything sent.  As Sarah suggested with the Maine address, could some
instruction be left that anything sent to Boston or California be set aside
so that Coach might examine the items at some future date.

I see a portentious sign in Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor,  yesterday
regained the Tour de
France lead, smashing the prior leader's margin, and now holds the yellow
jersey.  He did
it in the first mountain stage of the circuit.  Coach Walsh has his own
mountain to climb against cancer, and Armstrong's story is said to be an
inspiration to Coach.  Lance taking the lead is truly a wonderful omen.

to Nonni:

I'll paraphrase you:  It should have been obvious to Nonni that  Dan was
trying to help Shawn.

I reserve my right to ask you a very important question about this
situation privately....

Finally, I spent over two hours writing this post.  You cannot imagine how
troubled I am over this whole situation.  Lance has given me inspiration
also.

Dan Doucette
graduate of UMaine 78 MPA 80
--- Nonni Daly and I skipped class the day of the lecture on mind reading

>To subscribers on the list:
>        Sarah Dubay, who works in the hockey office, read Dan Doucette's
>posting of the address at UCLA and asked me to post this to the List.
>Please take her words to heart.  I have spoke with Shawn and know that
>she expresses his feelings perfectly.  It should have been obvious to
>Dan that Shawn was trying to keep this private.
>
>I typically do not repsond to the messages on the Maine Hockey List,
>but this time I feel it is a necessity.
>
>I am Shawn Walsh's administrative assistant and I guess I should have
>done this before.  I know that there are several fans that care greatly
>about Coach and are very concerned about his well-being as I do myself.
> But, I do think people need to remember that this is his life.
>Although, he is a public figure, there are things that we all wish we
>could keep private.  And this is one of those things Coach would like
>to deal with on his own.
>
>He did not want anyone to know where he was staying for either of his
>treatments because he really needs to focus on his health.  The
>treatment in California is very aggressive and that is where his energy
>needs to be placed.  He does not want any outside distractions even
>though  those distractions might have him in the best of interests.
>The last thing he said to me was to tell people the best thing they
>could do for him was to leave him alone.  I beg you not to mail
>anything to the UCLA address.  We all want him to be on the bench for
>North Dakota - and this is how we can help!
>
>If people do want to send him cards (he has asked for no flowers), they
>may be sent at his request to:
>
>        Maine Hockey
>        5701 Alfond Arena
>        Orono, ME 04469-5701
>
>He will read all cards and well-wishes as he feels up to it....as fans,
>we have always handled to crowds and the cheering, and as always, we
>need to let Coach handle the game...

Dan Doucette

Maine Hockey - we win it all in odd-numbered years

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.