ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:59:49 EDT
>Hopefully you are right. I wonder if it is a matter of whether he
>recieved scholarship while he was practicing last season.

It does not.  (And BobT is always right).

Although the rules may change in another year ...  once a recruited
athlete's "clock" begins ticking (complete explanation beyond my means),
s/he gets 5 years to play 4. Class standing doesn't have anything to do
with this (though a recruited athlete does have standards to meet wrt
progressing with her/his academic program).  So a player with 3 years of
eligibility remaining is often referred to as a sophomore, and one with
1 year of eligibility a senior (whether the academic status is junior,
senior or graduate student).  I have no knowledge of Don's situation.

There is an NCAA D-I rule that causes a transferring student to sit out
for a year (except for very limited circumstances).  So if Don entered
Maine for last spring's semester, he'd be eligible (ignoring other
considerations) after the close of this fall's semester.

(For real answers, listen to BobT or contact the Compliance Office) :-)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3