ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:58:15 -0400
Pellerin eager for playoffs
By Larry Mahoney, Of the NEWS Staff
Last year at this time, former UMaine star Scott Pellerin was wondering how
he was going to contribute to the St. Louis Blues' playoff run with a badly
pulled groin muscle.
Coming off his best season in the NHL, the 20-goal scorer was able to
appear in only eight of St. Louis' 13 games and collect one goal.
St. Louis was eliminated by eventual Stanley Cup champion Dallas in six
games in their Western Conference semifinal series.
This season, Pellerin is healthy and his Blues have been the talk of the NHL.

Exhibiting exceptional depth, balance and team chemistry, the Blues were
remarkably consistent in claiming the NHL's best regular-season record for
the first time in their 33-year history.

The Blues went 51-20-11 and racked up 114 points, six points better than
fellow Western Conference Central Division rival Detroit.

They allowed a league-low 165 goals in 82 games.

But Pellerin and the Blues didn't have much time to savor their
accomplishment because the playoffs begin for them tonight when they host
San Jose in a best-of-seven Western Conference quarterfinal series.

Pellerin, a former Hobey Baker Award winner, is one of three former Bears
involved in the playoffs.

On Thursday, defenseman Keith Carney's Phoenix Coyotes open at Colorado and
center Bob Corkum's Los Angeles Kings visit Detroit.

Eight others who saw action in the NHL this past regular season won't be
involved because their teams didn't qualify.

That list includes Anaheim's Paul Kariya, who finished fourth in the NHL in
scoring with 86 points on 42 goals and 44 assists in 74 games.

Dozens of other ex-Bears are involved in minor league playoffs.

"There will be a little bit of pressure on us, mostly from the media," said
Pellerin. "But we've been playing the same way all season so we aren't
going to try to change anything now.

"This is the fun part of the season," added Pellerin.

He said the Blues have plenty of respect for the Sharks even though they
went 4-0-1 against them during the regular season.

"All the games we had against them were tough games although a few got out
of hand at the end," said Pellerin. "They're a solid team. They've got some
great forwards. They've got a lot of speed and depth at forward. And this
has been their goalie's [Steve Shields] first chance at being a No. 1
goalie. It's going to be interesting."He said winning the Stanley Cup isn't
going to be easy but it is an attainable goal.

"There are a lot of great teams but we have as good a chance as anybody if
we play the way we can," said Pellerin.

The 30-year-old Shediac, New Brunswick, native readjusted to a checking
role this season after having a career year last season with his 20 goals
and 21 assists in 80 games. He had eight goals and 15 assists in 80 regular
season games this season. He had a pair of game-winning goals and two
shorthanded goals.

He is one of the Blues' top penalty-killing forwards.

The Blues will be without leading scorer Pavol Demitra (postconcussion
syndrome) and Scott Young (separated shoulder) indefinitely which could
thrust Pellerin into a more offensive role.

"It has been a strange year, personally. But I've battled through it with
hard work. I've tried to play consistently and build my confidence. I feel
I'm playing on the upper part of the curve these days," said Pellerin, who
had a three-point game against Calgary last week.

"Whenever you have injuries, everybody has a piece of the puzzle. It's not
one or two guys who have to step it up, it has to be everybody. And that's
what we've done all season long when we've been missing key guys," added
Pellerin.

Carney and Corkum are former Maine teammates of Pellerin's and he said they
have both had productive seasons.

"Keith has played real well. He is solid every game. He's one of their top
defensemen," said Pellerin. "And Corky plays the same hard-checking style
he always has."