ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:02:13 -0400
Upon returning to work today I've received numerous condolences, none of
which have I accepted.  As a Maine fan I feel more pride than sorrow.  I
have a great deal of faith now that our proud tradition has been restored
and I have confidence that I will once again see us vying for the National
Title next year.

Earlier in the year I was not always certain this would be the case, but
the team displayed their mettle down the stretch.  We had a great time in
Providence saw three great game (1 of which did not have the desired
result), but in the end the best team was crowned National Champion.
Somehow our loss seemed easier to swallow this time around.  North Dakota
was brilliant in their team defense and rarely were we able to get a shot
or pass thru their diving and blocking attempts on power play.

The Seniors are certainly an impressive lot led by Cory and our
Humanitarian award winner Jim Leger.  Ben had a career year and Brendan
displayed leadership that many questioned he had.  Robert Ek was most
impressive down the stretch and hopefully he earned a shot at a contract,
and Anders it seemed was rarely noticed, which says alot about his
transformation to defense, you normally notice them after they've coughed
up the puck or taken a bad penalty.  They will all be missed!

I've met a number of fans on this list following the team this year, and
hope to get to know many more in the future.  I've been following the Bears
since 1980, my sophomore year, it's been a rewarding journey as a fan and
certainly makes my family's winters go by much faster.

I do have a favor to ask of any of the list members that receive the BDN.
My wife and I had our picture taken by a BDN photog after the game on
Thursday, who then asked for our names.  While I highly doubt the photo was
used, now that we're NH residents, if you noticed it or have a copy could
you take a look!

Hope to make it to the Banquet to thank the team in person!

Bob Fitta '83

MAINE- Hockey East Tournament Champions 2000

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine
http://www.harvard-magazine.com