ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 23:15:11 -0500
We all arrived in Providence with so much hope...

Maine played with less intensity than did North Dakota, and consequently
lost.  And, we have to say, the Sioux were much the better team on Friday.

North Dakota executed a game plan which emphasized physical contact all
over the ice.  I think that not since the Northeastern series at Matthews
had we seen Maine befuddled by such a tactic as they were in Providence.

Obviously the goaltending was superb in both nets.  However, ND forced many
tries toward the outside (get a Friday one-star Boston Globe and see the
shot boards) and those that did not get blocked first, and a good number
never reached the crease,  were deftly set aside.

Yeats was more severly tested by more odd-man rushes than was Goering, and
that will lead to the more favorable comparison.

Was it to compensate for the missing Larose that prompted Maine players to
make one pass too many on so many occasions ?

The third period was the Maine style of play we had seen before, the
come-from-behind attack which withered many opponents, including the
eventual winner of the nightcap.  North Dakota was really prepared for the
onslaught.

This may have been one of those games that Maine should have gone all-out
to get the first goal.  A point of emphasis for next year ought to be - get
the early lead,  put the opponent on their heels, then put 'em away.

Tomorrow ==

We predict North Dakota over BC.   BC is not as good as they have convinced
the Boston media they are, and the Sioux are MUCH better than most think
they are.

Who is the more hungry, after years of just missing ?  Well, on that scale,
it just might be BC, BUT...BC is as vulnerable as Maine to the physical
attack that the Sioux will undoubtedly unleash.  Perhaps even more, as the
Eagles are legitimately only two lines deep.

BC played the Saints well enough to beat North Dakota for a total of only
about 15 minutes on Thursday.  Remember how long the game really is,
because the Sioux know.  Look at my comment regarding Maine about taking
the lead.

Now, the rumor is Providence wants to add 3,000 +/- seats and try for
another Championship...they'd better find some solutions to traffic and
parking first.  I arrived at the suggested I-95 exit at 1:10, and road
around for 45 minutes to find an available lot - for $ 30.00

But, I fear, Albany won't be a picnic either.   Made me long for the big
lots surrounding the Pond.   Has anyone thought of satellite parking lots
for hockey fans ?

Dan Doucette

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.