ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carl Haag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:27:37 -0500
Although I'm not from Aroostook Co. ;-), I am one of those lurkers on this
list that doesn't usually have much to say.  I've been watching and enjoying
college hockey for over 20 years.  Living within an hour's drive of
world-class college hockey (and world-class fans) at UMaine, well ..., it
just doesn't get any better than this.

I agree with John Dufill's (and other's) comments that every Maine fan at
the Fleece center should be proud to think that other fans feel this way
about us.  The BC fan and his three buddies sat right in front of my family
and me at Saturday's game.  In the front row and totally surrounded by Maine
fans, they had their faces painted, they actively cheered on their team, and
they were louder than any four fans I've ever met.  But they never cussed or
booed once and were very polite and respectful of all of the Maine fans
around them.  Not even the Maine fan sitting behind us who tore up their
sign caused them to become abusive, bad form though it was.  I've got to say
that sitting with these kids took the term "friendly rivalry" to a whole new
level and that watching and listening to them made an outstanding thriller
of a game that much better.  After the game, they shook everyone's hand.  My
hat is off to these four "classy" BC fans.  It's only fitting that got the
FOX FAN-ATIC(s) of the game.

Any of these four guys will be welcome, at any time, in any arena, to sit
and watch college hockey with me and my family.

Carl