ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Scott McNey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:54:11 -0500
After the Boston University game at the Alfond, there was a discussion
going around on whether or not the University of Maine's fans are bad
and mean spirited.  I attended last nights game in Amherst, I must say
I was applauded with the conduct of the UMass fans.  Almost constantly
throughout the game UMaine fans and players were referred to as
"f**king hicks", "f**king inbreds", "fags" and other obscenities that I
have never heard used towards other fans at the Alfond.  Aside from the
verbal harassment we also had water dumped on us by the UMass Minuteman
Mascot.  The "cheers" of the UMass fans showed their true lack of
class.  Their favorite cheer was "Hey lets hear it for (Maine, Hicks,
the ref, anything else they didn't like) HIP- HIP F**K YOU!!!!"  A very
intelligent cheer for a state university.  Aside from their obnoxious
fans the game went well, as the Black Bears won the game 4-2.  The
players should be applauded for keeping their composure while enduring
the taunts from the UMass student section located directly behind their
bench.  The UMaine team and fans at last nights game demonstrated to
the UMass team and their fans how a first class hockey program and
their fans behave.