ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 19:46:00 -0400
I wanted to take a moment to send a note of hearty congratulations to Maine
folks.

This was truly a terrific game to be at, as were all the final four games,
and the way it turned out it was too bad one team had to lose.  One of the
better championship games I have seen.  In my mind there was no loser,
although of course I can say that not being affiliated with either school.

As some folks know I thought the final four was a tossup but I hoped the
champion would be in order, UNH, BC or Maine, the criteria being 1) from
Hockey East 2) last title won. :-)  However I knew after Thursday's games
that whichever team won, there would be a great story involved.  It is a
tribute to the Maine players and fans, and the staff and those who stuck by
Shawn Walsh, who believed they could weather the storm in the mid-90s and
get back to national prominence and win again.

Shawn has his detractors and he does tend to rub people the wrong way at
times, myself included.  But there can be no question about his dedication
to his program and the sport of college hockey, and his coaching ability.

Both coaches did a great job of shutting down the big guns from the other
team.  I noticed someone made reference to UNH and/or Umile "choking" but I
did not feel that was the case.  It was a great game played well by both
teams.  UNH could easily have won and it would not have meant Walsh
"choked".

The dominance displayed by the Hockey East teams in the tourney this year
was remarkable.  HE teams were a combined 8-2 and the two losses came to
other HE teams in the final four and in overtime.  I don't think I have
ever seen anything like it and I would not have expected it with all of the
quality players who had left as underclassmen before this year.  It is a
testament to the quality of play in the league and has to have a positive
effect on the recruiting efforts of all of the teams as kids look to play
against the best competition around.

The atmosphere was terrific inside the Pond.  I don't know how it came
across on television but I cannot imagine it did not appear that way to
anyone watching on ESPN.  I wondered how the TV folks felt going in,
knowing that the two name schools in BC and Michigan State had not made it,
but this had to be a wonderful advertisement for the game of college
hockey.  It also helped that the teams rose above what was not a very good
officiating job and made the game that much better.

So thanks to the teams for giving us a great game and tournament, and
again, congratulations to everyone associated with Maine, and enjoy it!

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****