ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"William J. Dewkett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 14:01:45 -0500
like it was the first game of the season not the last...play was very ragtag
with major defensive lapses resulting in UMass goals.  The heartbreaker was
that in the first minute of play Maine had a goal disallowed for a man in
the crease.  What could have been the start of a rout turned into a sloppy
game.  When Maine scored it was on well executed plays and flashes of the
way they are capable of playing.  We were always playing catchup the entire
game even though we dominated play and shots on goal.  UMass played a very
smothering defense with a lot of holding and tying up of players.  Robert
Ek's first goal could not have come at the right time...great shot from the
left point thru a crossing screen into the upper right corner of the goal.

UMass pulled its goalie with 40 sec of the OT and we had one opportunity at
the empty net but couldn't get it in.

I read with great interest and enjoyment the Discussion list.  My son is a
soph. at Maine and we journeyed to UMass from CT to watch the game.  ON TO
HOCKEY EAST!!  I have tickets to the NCAA finals so I am hoping for a
miracle.

Bill Dewkett