ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 05:57:31 EST
Back in the dark ages of Maine Hockey, when it was a great game if we scored
at all, Jack & I lived across the driveway from Dale Duff in a house on
Broadway here in Bangor.  In those days baseball ruled at UMaine and no one
cared what happened to the hockey players as long as they stayed out of
trouble.  They used to have to find someplace - anyplace - to sleep during
semester breaks when the dorms closed and they were still having practices and
games.  1980, I think it was, we had the team banquet at our house, with two
other couples, long time hockey fans who still go today.  Dale would not even
walk across the driveway to give these guys the thrill of talking to a real
sports media person.  When Maine Hockey Mania struck, I needled him!

Bill Green has never impressed me, from the time I first met him about 18
years ago at the Bangor Auditorium during Basketball Tournament week, and he
hit on me at the hot dog stand.  His manners never did improve.  His knowledge
of hockey, and college hockey in particular was sub zero.  I remember the
interview and being ashamed that anyone would be that rude, but as you may
recall, he was that way to everyone, sort of the Imus of local sports!  I
understand his current assignment is a real improvement, though.

As far as Heather is concerned, let her go.  She follows the course of all the
rest of the Fair Weather Fans who I will not miss one bit.  There are too many
people who look at me longingly and tell me how very much they would like to
go to a hockey game but "can't get tickets".  They are amazed and disbelieving
when I tell them there are usually tickets available the week of the game.
THOSE are the folks I want to see in the seats, the folks for whom Maine
Hockey is fun to watch, not just a place to be seen.  I just watch those FWFs
break their ankles jumping on and off the ship as we win and lose and win
again. (My nasty disposition!)

In watching this program rebuild to national prominence there are many
memories that come floating back, many of which were private moments, like the
time I spent listening to a player who had just been told by Coach that he
would not be able to play at Maine because he was not talented enough.  This
young man talked non stop for one period of play, tried not to break down and
failed, then stood up, squared his shoulders and volunteered his services to
help his team for the rest of his time here.  Watching him walk away I came to
understand a little more deeply the bond of team spirit.  From that, I also
think of the moment I walked out early from the rink in Milwaukee, to make
sure the details were taken care of for the final post game reception after
winning it all, listening to the roar still echoing through the halls.

Maine Hockey.

Cathy Hart
Proud Supporter of the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation!!