EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:47:39 GMT
JB wrote:

<<

Date:    Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:50:16 EDT
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Can Pound be a Fascist and Love the Workers at the Same Time?

In a message dated 08/09/2000 3:00:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
What I find a bit puzzling in your position is that you seem very willing to
see a real contradiction in American foreign policy.  For example, you
rightly say that it is hypocritical for the US to claim it is for democracy
when it overthrows a democratically elected government in Guatemala, only to
give support to a dictatorship which kills over 200,000 people.

<Pound never killed anyone.
<Pound never killed anyone.
<Pound never killed
anyone.

So, may I conclude that you do not distinguish the political stance of Ezra
Pound from the stance of any advocate of US foreign policies (such as those
in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Vietnam) which resulted in the deaths of tens of
thousands, or millions--- as long as the person did not participate in the
killing? If they did not kill anyone their views should not be subject to
criticism?

So, for example, if a journalist, writer, or poet, on TV said that we should
support a war in the middle east, or the Balkans, or in Colombia (that one
might be imminent), you would not criticize their view?

If you DID criticise Journalist X who supported the Vietnam War,  could I
respond, "Your comments are irrelevant, because Mr. X did not kill anyone,
did not kill anyone, did not kill anyone."   (?)

---Wei