EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:13:52 -0400
Louis,

This is a very interesting reading, and it winds up being very
paradoxical.  You too see the ant image as military, but you see it
as the poet intentionally representing himself (or the ideal
fascist man of action) in a negative light, i.e., admonishing
himself for his "vanity."  Others in this discussion, when
seeing the ant as Pound the poet, do NOT seem to feel that the
ant is being upbraided for its "vanity."  Your reading would
imply (to me) that, in this passage, Pound puts himself on a
moral footing with his "casque"-wearing captors, and that strikes
me as highly improbable.  (But perhaps I'm misremembering the
interpretational intent of both you and those "others" I'm
alluding to.)

==Dan

HOME:
Dan Pearlman