EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:08:50 -0400
Dan,
Let me ponder this new reading some. I'll sleep on it. In the meantime,
here's something else for us to think about when engaging these questions:

-- the _reflexive_ nature of the masque in Elizabethan drama
-- the psychological duality implied by the magpie metaphor

The entire libretto _reflects upon itself as an Elizabethan masque reflects
upon the play.  The pronouns (I, 'ou, thou, thy, yourself, he) seem
contrived to suggest shifts in speaker, addressee, person spoken about, and
even shifts of time. But a single consciousness might well be the host of
multiple dramatis personae and relationships here.

Tim Romano