EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 06:56:27 GMT
JB seems to object to the view

<< that Pound ACTUALLY MEANT WHAT HE SAID only when he said something that
confirms that he was a fascist.  whenever Pound said something that could be
understood as something other than "I am a fascist" . . .  >>

When did Pound ever say anything which contradicted his fascism?

The complication lies in the fact that the statements made by Pound which
allegedly contradict his fascism are similar to statements made by virtually
all fascists.  What did Pound actually say which ostensibly  contradicts his
support for fascism?

Pound says he cares for other people.  So did Mussolini.

Pound says he supports the working man.  So did Hitler.

Pound says he is for a just economic system.  So did Odon Por, Italy's
Paramount fascist economist (translated into English by Pound).

Pound says he believes in virtue.  So did most of the Nazis.

Did not  Pound think that all his beliefs were consistent with fascism?
When did Pound ever express a full renunciation of fascism?

JB, I wonder if you could explain your view a bit more fully than you have
in recent posts.

What I find a bit puzzling in your position is that you seem very willing to
see a real contradiction in American foreign policy.  For example, you
rightly say that it is hypocritical for the US to claim it is for democracy
when it overthrows a democratically elected government in Guatemala, only to
give support to a dictatorship which kills over 200,000 people.

Yet you apparently do not care to see or analyze a contradiction in Pound's
writings, which call for EQUITY and Peace, while they support a fascist
coalition which unleashes a war causing the deaths of tens of millions.

Perhaps you could make your position a bit clearer.

---Wei