EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:54:00 EDT
In a message dated 08/03/2000 1:33:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 This may be the gist of your complaint:  You do not want to discuss Pound at
 all, or the issues I bring up.  So instead you want to divert attention from
 the real issues, and instead make ad hominem attacks.

you're free to cast whatever aspersions that you choose -- but what I don't
intend doing is to discuss Pound with someone who seems intent on labeling
everything Pound said or did as just another proof of his fascistic
enthrallment.  I think you should look up the meaning of ad hominem; in my
judgment my criticism regarding your lack of sincerity is based on what I've
observed here on this list.  as for the political parties you've listed, the
most one can say about them is that they're irrelevant to the political
process in this country; the greens may be an exception to this remark, but
that remains to be seen.  what is certain is that if the greens -- or any of
the other parties you list -- should pass beyond the threshold of
irrelevance, they will be co-opted by the moneyed interests, just as the
major political parties are -- that is, they will become stooges enacting and
enforcing laws and policies that ensure that these interests will benefit.
as far as backchannel messages are concerned, I think one should be able,
particularly when one is saying something personally critical, to choose how
one communicates this.  as a matter of fact, I would prefer that this message
be a private one, but since you have repeatedly demonstrated that you do not
honor such wishes, then I have no choice -- if I'm to respond to you at all
-- but to do so publicly.

jb....