EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:41:02 -0400
Wei,
You suggested several days ago that Pound was a "subject"  -- that is, under
the thumb of fascist  totalitarian mind-control, and are here again
suggesting that Pound's anti-communism should be seen as further indication
that he was spouting "the party line" and not revealing deeply held views of
his own:

> Pound's numerous denunciations of Stalin, during 1943 and 1944 were the
> simple reflex actions to the dictates of fascist centers of propaganda in
> Berlin and Rome.   [WEI]

I had written that "Pound would have been content to remain an
'aristo-democrat' had the threat of world communism not arisen. He found
communism abhorrent, and his anti-communism was integral to the support he
gave the fascist cause." And you ask for evidence to support this view:

> Are you sure this is correct?  I think this may represent a very serious
misinterpretation of
> Pound's intellectual development, and the reasons he became a fascist.  I
> want to encourage you to make a case for your position
>  [....]
> I defy anyone to find any quote prior to 1940 where Pound expresses any
> strong anti-communist sentiments, in the form of a reasoned argument, or
> even in an off hand comment.

OK. Since you have asked so nicely <g>.

Let me address first my claim that  Pound was, at heart, an
"aristo-democrat" who would have been content to remain so had it not been
for the threat of world-communism, and its effect upon his native land. He