EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 15:59:20 -0400
Carlo Parcelli:

Help me on this: -

Aren't you seriously degrading Pound's work by admonishing others for
"interpreting the Cantos as though they were an historical/political
document".

Are you saying the Cantos aren't an historical/political document?

Or that they shouldn't be read as such?

And if that's the case, why shouldn't they be read as such?

I had always thought that one of the most fertile contributions Pound made
to 20th century poetry was his insistence that modern epic poetry, to be of
lasting value, would, of necessity, address itself openly to
historical/political concerns. And, unlike many other poets of his time,
(who, it should be noted, had even less lyrical gifts than he), he laboured
hard and long on the research, quotes, commentaries and (sometimes lyrical)
summations which are the Cantos.

You want to take our appreciation of that away from him?

Michael