EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:10:10 GMT
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]> gave us some very fascinating observations about
the meaning of PC, in relation to the social perceptions of delegates from
the developing world to a conference in the US.

I would politely and respectfully suggest that you use some of that
genuinely brilliant capacity you have to apreciate Ezra Pound's viewpoints
on some matters, and apply it to other viewpoints of living people, people
whose views may differ from your own.

You wrote:

<<
Subject: Tinned Fruit Diplomacy

Since we're telling anecdotes about "PC"...

About 20 years ago, I was working as a lowly grad student in the offices of
the American Studies Assn at the University of Pennsylvania . . .

The prevailing sentiment among these delegates was
that they did not want All Things American forced upon them but wanted to
take from this culture, society, and government only what was good, or what
they perceived as good for them, and to say no-thank-you to the rest.  >>

What is wrong with this eclectic attitude toward things American, in
culture, society, and government?  Do you think every foreigner, simply
because he is present  in the US, should accept all things American, no
matter how they conflict with that person's personal temprament, belief
system, customs, and political opinions.

Is it not sensible to want to take from any culture, only that which you
believe is "good"?  You seem to think this is unreasonable.  But what else
do Americans do?  In matters of government for instance, when the Founders
framed the constitution, did they not take a little from Locke, some ideas
from Rousseau, customs from British common law, a few notions from the
history of the Roman Republic, and several lessons from the history of
Greece?  When Americans decided that women should be allowed to vote, were
they not following the example of several Scandinavian countries, which did
so first?

These questions are not entirely rhetorical.  I really would like some
clarification of what you expect foreigners to do when they visit the US,
and what US citizens should do when they visit foreign countries.  It seems
to me to be part of a rational give-and-take, for us make the best judgments
we can about what is good and bad about our respective cultures, and to be
tolerant enough to realize that these judgments, especially in the short
run, will seldom coincide.

<<At the plenary session,  the main thrust of my little here's-how-it-went
speech was the desire expressed by the delegates for cultural autonomy and
self-determination.  During the course of my remarks, I happened to refer to
these "third world" countries as "some of the poorest countries of the
world" or something like that.  When I was finished speaking, a delegate
from some foreign country--I think it was Pakistan--but certainly not one of
the delegates at the sessions I had moderated--demanded that Dr. Romano take
back the word "poorest" and that it be stricken from the official record of
the proceedings!>>

This is not entirely clear to me.  You refered to all the countries there as
among the "poorest in the world"?  And was the person from Pakistan?  I
think you should be sure about that.  I have known many Pakistanis, and
taught many Pakistani students.  I would say it is perfectly reasonable,
given what I know about Pakistan, to say that it is NOT among the "poorest
countries in the world", though it is poor (economically speaking) in
relation to the US, Western Europe, and Japan.

Pakistan is the richest of the South Asian nations, according to most
statistical indicators. It is much richer than its large neighbor, India, on
a per capita basis,  and richer than its other neighbors in the region,
(excepting Iran).  Compare it with Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Afghanistan and
Bangladesh.

This a problem that frequently arises when Americans come into contact with
nationals from the "Third World".  On occasion, Americans will make sweeping
generalizations about a nation, a nationality, a culture, or a group of
nations, which are not based on fact.  Pakistan could be said to be one of
the richest countries in the world, when compared with most African
subsaharan nations, and is probably best classified as a middle income
country.

This may seem trivial to you, but it would not be to a Pakistani.  Consider
also, that Pakistan is also a rich country, culturally speaking, among the
richest in the world, with at least seven major distinct languages,
thousands of years of history (dating back to the Indus valley
civilization), and containing practitioners of virtually all the religions
of the world.  To use the word RICH so that it would only refer to a nations
financial assets is viewed by many non-Americans as offensive.

So what you might consider to be an attempt to enforce "political
correctness," on the part of a Pakistani delegate, may in fact be an
insistence on accuracy, and a demand that such words as "poor" not be
applied to a respectable culture and civilization.

Perhaps the delegate was heavy handed in making the point. But what is wrong
with correcting the record?  Or asking that the record be corrected?  Were
you willing to discuss what on your part MIGHT have been an error?  Were you
willing to consider amending your statement?

<<
The British delegation in their journal thanked the president of the
American Association for hosting the convention, and me, in particular, for
my "ubiquity".>>

I am not sure what this means, relative to the question of political
correctness.

By the way, was the record altered, as the delegate wished it to be?  IF it
was not, what is your complaint?   (Certainly you cannot complain that he
raised the issue).

If the record was altered, how was the decision made to alter it?  By vote?
By a ruling of the Chair? OR by some other procedure?

IF the record was altered, and a reason was given for the alteration,
striking your words, I would like to know the reason.  If not, then I do not
see how your anecdote can be considered an example of "political
correctness."  Your story would simply illustrate that two people disagreed
about how the word "poor" should be applied.

Regards,

Wei