EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:14:21 -0400
Wei,

You reply to my cautionary statement about the difficulties of determining
the _date of composition_ of individual essays from the broadcasts collected
by Doob:

> ...   While we may not
> know the EXACT DATE OF SPECIFIC BROADCASTS [emphasis by TR], how might our
ignorance in that
> area alter general statements about Pound's political views, which (I
think)
> developed and changed rather rather slowly and gradually during the late
> 30's and early 40's?

First, an exhortation to read more carefully:  I wrote "date of
composition", whereas your reply addresses  "date of broadcast". Your
reading eyes have been wearied from watching too much Monty Python, p'raps?

Our ignorance of the chronology of composition wouldn't necessarily alter
_general_ statements about Pound's political views, and I didn't say it
would. But the inability to fix the composition date of an individual essay
might well cause us to reconsider specific statements of the kind which seek
to put a "spin" on statements found in a broadcast, by putting them into the
context of contemporary events _as they were unfolding_ or as news of them
would or could have been reaching Pound.

I do not have Doob in front of me now because I had to return it to the
university library. Am I to infer from your remark, that you have only
excerpts from the broadcasts in front of you,  that you have not read the
essays themselves but have relied upon another critic's selections?  Or are
these excerpts notes you took yourself when reading the essays whole?  If
the former, I can say only this (paraphrasing Monty Python) : What a silly
bunt you've been!

Tim Romano