EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:51:38 -0400
Wei,

> To clarify:  I did not say that POUND’s ONLY motive was to support
> imperialism.  I said, that the Axis powers were only united by this drive.

That may be what you meant to say. I wish to point out to you a feature of
your analytical method and your own synapses.  If you read your reaganesque
concluding paragraph over again, closely, you will notice some legerdemain
with respect to subject-verb-object:

> Each member of the Axis, it seems, had its assigned task...

Who is doing the assigning of the task?  Where is the assignment of task
occuring?  Your previous points had been focused on Pound's thought and even
on his thought processes, not on the strategic alliances of the axis powers:

    -- "He suspected continued broadcasts might constitute treason"
    -- "His next thought is of China"
    --"But his irrepressible dedication to fascism and his belief in empire
were too strong by now"
    -- "Pound also believed in empire"
    --"Later in the same speech, for the sake of Axis solidarity, he goes on
defend the Japanese Noh-plays"
   -- "Pound's rededication to the Axis cause leads him to defend the
Japanese..."

The implication of your final paragraph is this: the assignment of task is
occuring in Pound's mind.

With regard to the pyschoanalytic approach and the mind of the artist: to
what extent is Pound's mind a passive antennae, and to what extent is it
directed by conscious will?  Pound seems to want to have it both ways!  He
writes often of the Direction of the Will, and yet in the broadcasts (the
full quote is somewhere in the EPOUND archives since I posted it here
several months ago) he says that it doesn't matter what the artist thinks he
is doing, if he uses his heightened senses and is candid when he portrays
what he perceives, his art will reflect his times.  There, he seems to be
moving away from the will's direction... towards letting "the wind speak".

Tim Romano

P.S. Thanks for your hyperlinks, I'll check them out. Glad you like the
little poem.