EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:28:43 GMT
I don't advocate that we should "simply ignore" those sides of Pound's
writing and "thought" which we find unpleasant.

I first started reading Pound when I was at school. Believe it or not, it
took a while for it to dawn on me that Pound was anti-semitic and had
supported the Axis powers during the war. All I saw at first was that
Pound's work was beautiful, interesting and funny, and he had a greater
command of rhythm (when he tried) than any other modernist poet.

When I learnt more about his life, I was initially eager to be persuaded by
the apologists: those who argued that when Pound said anti-semitic things he
was speaking metaphorically, he was not really a fascist, the worst of his
remarks were made whilst he was mad. Of course I soon realised this was
mostly bunk, some of it very dodgy too; whilst at University wrote an
extended essay demonstrating (extremely unoriginally, as I'm sure I didn't
then appreciate) that the whole of the Cantos were infected by Pound's
repellant politics, and that they were incomprehensible not because his
thought was difficult or recondite but because it was wicked, muddled and
wrong. I was sickened and didn't return to his work for several years.

When I went back to it rather gingerly two years ago, I found it once again
beautiful, interesting and funny, but I felt anxious about admiring it
because of what I now knew about Pound's life. I hurried to learn more, to
be sure I wasn't doing Pound an injustice through ignorance of the facts.
The ethical problem posed by Pound's life and work seemed of the very
greatest importance, a paradigm. One of the reasons I joined this list was
to find out how other readers (other than the biographers and critics whose
work I had read) have dealt with it.

When I asked in my last post "What more is there to say?" I guess I meant no
more than that having listened to months of debate (beginning long before
Wei joined the list and no doubt months or years before I joined), I don't
feel that we are any closer to finding an "answer" to this problem. "The
contradictions cover such a range. The talk would talk and go so far
aslant".

Anyway, I wasn't asking anyone to shut up. I was just recording a view -
perhaps a passing view - that all this chat isn't getting us anywhere. Each
reader has to live with the facts in his own way. We'd be better off talking
about the verse.

Richard Edwards