EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:26:14 -0400
Hello, fellow Pounders:

My grad student Sarah Holmes, who is finishing up the editing
of the 1930s EP/William Borah correspondence (forthcoming with U. Ill.
Press), has some questions she hopes you'll help her answer.
She is currently off-list.  However, she would appreciate your
replying to her email address: [log in to unmask]

Her questions follow:
==Dan Pearlman

Hello list. I am doing some research and was wondering if anyone could offer
some answers to these questions:

1) In Pound's personal letters, why does he group Harding, Hoover, and Mellon
as a "universal stink." Is it because he blames them for the Depression? If
so, why?

2) What did Pound have against the Bank of France? (also, is it best to refer
to it that way, or should one say National Bank of France?)

3) Why did Pound dislike Woodrow Wilson?

4) Did H. L. Mencken ever encourage Pound to start a newspaper? If not
Mencken, was there another journalist who suggested Pound start one?

5) What does PARTAGGIO mean? I think this word has something to do with
elections, but I'm not sure.

6) Who was Capt. Goldoni? It should be an Italian captain who was active
during the Italian/ Abyssinian crisis, but I am not sure.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarah Holmes
University of Rhode Island