EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
jameshughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:38:30 +0100
Though a new member of this literary forum, I feel compelled to respond to
En Lin Wei's assertion that one must "question the value of scholarship or
the study of literary works which is totally disconnected with moral or
political judgements, especially in the case of Pound". The sentiment
expressed, after all, is surely a valid one: for we are all, to a greater or
lesser extent, shaped by (and judged in relation to) the societal, moral and
political environment into which we are cast - or have thrust upon us.

Indeed, as Wei informs us, all writers, whether consciously or otherwise,
conform to this rule - Pound more so than many. Are The Cantos not, from
their first verse-paragraph until their final fragment, a bitter
condemnation of Capitalist Usura? Did Ezra Loomis not find in Western
society and economic policy a concrete illustration of the wider world's
ills? I feel I need not respond to my own rhetoric - and I will leave the
question of its "importance" for others to judge.

I cannot, however, conclude in such a fashion. Pound, lest we forget, was
first, foremost and forever a poet: much of his greatest work stems not from
the forge of right-wing politics, nor from the furnace of social criticism:
it was begotten rather in the obscure womb of the human creative impulse.
The epigraph to Lustra, for example, not to mention many other pre-Cantos
creations, seems to owe little to societal promptings, being instead an
expression of human transience as old as language itself:

        And the days are not full enough
        And the nights are not full enough
        And life slips by like a field mouse
                        Not shaking the grass.

Pound must, by definition, be a product of society and politics: he defined
himself - and was himself defined - in the terms of their world.
Nonetheless, to reduce his work to such components is surely a negative and
fruitless exercise: like any great poet, E.P. wrote verse far greater than
the sum of its syllables. Wei is right to view Pound's work in relation to
its wider "implications" - to call him a "warmonger" is clearly to lose
sight of all higher critical ideals.

James Hughes,
England.