EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:48:22 -0400
This is the obligatory followup joke. Apologies if you've heard it before.

Pound wrote:

    In his growing subservience to, and adoration of, and entanglement in
machines, in utility, man rounds the circle almost into insect life, the
absence of flesh ;  and may have need even of horned gods to save him, or at
least of a form of thought which permits them."

A computer-programmer, a real dweeb, is walking down the road, his mind on a
bubble-sort algorithm, when a frog leaps out from the grass and speaks to
him. Good Sir, I am an enchanted princess, whom a wicked witch turned into
this ugly shape.  Kiss me on my frog-lips and I shall become a beautiful
young woman. I swear by all that is holy to be your devoted love-slave, if
you would but kiss me.  The programmer reaches down, pick ups the frog, and
stuffs it in his satchel, and says to the frog-princess  -- I don't have
time for a girlfriend right now.... but a talking frog, cool!

Tim Romano