EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Luca Gallesi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:44:17 +0200
Charled Moyer,
            there is no "Ezalino" in CLXXII, but (quoting the original
Italian):
"Io son quell'Ezzelino che non credè
che il mondo fu creato da un ebreo...."

 Ezzelino da Romano is a cruel "condottiero", who lived in the XII- XIII
century (1194-1259).
 He was a follower of Emperor Federico II, whose daughter Selvaggia (=Wild
One) he married in 1238. Leader of the Ghibellines he was excommunicated in
1254 by Pope Innocenzo IV and was defeated on the battleground in 1259 by
the Guelfs. Taken prisoner he tore off the bandages covering his wounds  and
let himself die. His sister was Cunizza, whom Dante put in paradise (and
Pound, too)
 Dante (where probably Pound found him) put Ezzelino in the Inferno "where
he is punished in the river of blood together with those who were violent
against their neighbors" (AAVV "EP and Europe", RODOPI, Amsterdam 1993, pag
216.
 If you read Italian, you find a biography of "Ezzelino da Romano e i suoi
tempi"",by Antonio Perria , LONGANESI, MILANO 1973

p.s.for sure he is a totally undemocratic and politically uncorrect
character...tha's where his charm comes from!