EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 07:31:08 -0700
----------
From: "charles moyer" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Spengler quote
Date: Sat, Jul 8, 2000, 7:01 AM

If you liked that one, here's another from Oswald:

    "In lieu of the stake and faggots we have the great silence."

I think Pound called it the "historical blackout". Maybe also it has
something to do with plays not getting produced. The laughable thing about
censorship and "silence" (if there is anything about it that's laughable)
is that the reasons which are always given are that the material  is wrong
in some way. But why should anyone be worried about its acceptability then?
Have censors no faith that people can judge for themselves if a thing is
useless or worthless or all lies? They must certainly believe that people
can understand the "truth" they give them.  It seems to me then that it is
only the liars themselves who want things censored.
    What truly amazes me is how all these media people can be of the same
homogenized innocuous mindset and never seem to slip off the path of slimy
unctuous rhetoric. Is it true, "All the world's a stage"?

    In Canto 85 Pound writes, "The pusillanimous wanting all men cut down to
worm-size.
    Mr. Roosevelt chose Dexter White."
    We are told, by Terrell, that these lines derive from Russell Grenfell's
book "Unconditional Hatred". Can there be a connection here with the former
assessment of the press's role in WWI outlined by Spengler and does this
justify revising any historical analysis of the inherent evil nature of the
brachycephalic Germanic peoples? Don't get me wrong, I like Ike too.

CDM