EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 00:35:40 PDT
Tim Romano wrote:

<<
What does this incident involving Ouang Siaopo and the extortion of the
merchant class exemplify?  You have said only what it was _not_ meant to
show, namely, any "sympathy for peasant rebellions" or "the importance of
class conflict".

Would you agree with this summary of Pound's view of government, that It
should be of the people, and for the people, but not by the people?

Very interesting question , I think  What does "of the people, and for the
people, but NOT by the people" mean in practice?  How do you view it?  It
may very well be a concise statement of what Pound believes.

If Pound's ideal of a government is one "of the people, and for the people,"
then it is a government by ......"?

Fill in the blank.

And however you fill in the blank, would this be very different from

" a government for the people, but NOT of the people, and NOT by the
people"?

As regards your first question---  "What does this incident involving Ouang
Siaopo and the extortion of the
merchant class exemplify?"----  the answer may have a great deal to do with
the concept "for the people but not BY them".

Allow me to answer after we have fleshed that concept out a bit.

Regards,

Wei