EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 17:31:18 PDT
It occurred to me recently that this question might merit consideration:

If there were a successful authoritarian or fascist takeover in the US, such
as that portrayed in the film "Seven Days in May" (in other words, if a
group within the military managed to wrest power from Congress and an
elected President, as Pinochet took power in Chile) what would be the result
for American Culture and for the appreciation of Ezra Pound, in particular?

I think the answer to this question might vary, depending on the individual
perspective,  and for that reason the question deserves consideration.  What
is the state of American culture currently?   What role does Pound play
today amongst certain sectors of academic and literary culture?  If there
were a fascist coup in the US would the study of Ezra Pound fare better,
would it deteriorate, or would it stay more or less the same as it is now?