EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:03:41 -0500
"John K. Taber" wrote:

> I'm certainly no economist. My understanding of Pound's "usury"
> is interest in any form, à la the Medieval Church. My reading
> of Pound is that *all* interest is evil.
>
> --
> John K. Taber

In principle, usury is any interest at all. But it is impossible for a
market
(even the limited markets of pre-capitalist modes of production) to exist
without a system of financing it, which is impossible without in practice
allowing interest to be charged. I used to know some of the more complex
dodges practiced in Christian and Islamic cultures but don't remember any
now.In actual usage, the word "usury" does come to mean "excessive
interest," but that is an entirely flexible concept. One of the Italian
banks
Pound praises charged 5% I believe. Luther has some fascinating passages
on usury utilizing almost the entire lexicon of obscenities at his command.

The key, insofar as there is one, to the "history" of attitudes toward
interest
is the fact that  landowners (even extremely wealthy ones) are apt to be
extremely cash poor. Ditto military powers (pre-capitalist). Ditto royalty
and their hangers-on. (Before the Bank of England there was no national
debt in the modern sense. War debts were personal debts of the
sovereign.) Ditto I presume the Chinese gentry.

Carrol