EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Spoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:50:25 -0400
Wei wrote:

> This is a defense?  Someone, accused of treason (escaping the death penalty
> on an insanity plea) speaking of betrayal?   Odd defense, it seems to me.

        Again, a small but crucial point.  Pound never escaped the death
penalty by offering an insanity plea.  That would mean that he went to
trial and was found not guilty by reason of insanity.  He never went to
trial.  Instead, he was found, by a jury that deliberated for a few
minutes, mentally unfit to stand trial. This means that, legally, he was
found (1) unable to understand the nature of the charges against him; (2)
unable to confer effectively with counsel.
        This seems like nit-picking, but it's not: A world of legal
implication inheres in the distinction.  As Pound scholars, we have a
responsibility to get the facts right.

                                Sincerely, Robert Spoo