EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 01:05:48 PDT
Carlo wrote:

>P.S. Anything Chomsky writes is worth reading. He's the only Cartesian
>positivist that I like and his exegesis is wonderful. Of course, he
>understands taxonomies unlike many on this list.

Yes, I agree.  One of the great minds of our age.  For those interested one
of Chomsky's latest speeches is available on-line, at
http://www.pacifica.org        Simply go to Democracy Now, look at the
Archives link at the bottom of the page and go back a few weeks.  The speech
is on the anniversary of the end of the Vietnam, and the extent to which the
corporate controlled media strives to rewrite the history of that war.
(There are certain parallels to the way the big media corporations re-write
history and the way Pound re-writes it ----  and important differences of
course, though the comparison is warranted).

I am trying, in my own limited way, to perform what might be called a
"Chomskyian " reading of Pound.

As to doing a "New Critical" reading of Pound(in the style of Richards), I
see no problem with anyone doing that.  (Though it would it might not be
worth calling "New", anymore; that depends on the application of the theory,
I suppose).  Anyone who wants to do one should go ahead and post it.  In
fact, I am such a believer in human freedom (I hope this is not too radical
an idea), that I think anyone on this list should feel perfectly welcome to
do any kind of reading they want, whether purely aesthetic, social,
political, religious, economic, feminist, historicist, marxist, textual,
psychoanlalytical, or eclectic.

We should extend this little corner of cyberspace to ANYONE who wants to say
anything they want to say about Pound, shouldn't we?   Welcome to the
Information Age, which may open us up to more democracy ---even in the
fields of talking and thinking about literature.

Best Regards,

Wei