EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 07:52:25 -0700
Thank you, Jonathan Morse, for the information. I think Fortune and her
wheel can be traced back to Nemesis, a Greek deity. But you are right about
King Alfred's translation. Don't I know it. I fell asleep in my final exam
in Olde English while translating a passage from Alfred's , Boethius. I had
stayed up all night studying.
I will look into C.S. Lewis's "The discarded Image" on Boethius but I
suspect I'm going to find  a fairly Christianized slant here in both. There
is a fine woodcut illustration of Fortune and her Wheel in "The Crown, A
Tale of Sir Gawein and King Arthur's Court" by Heinrich von dem Teurlin (u-
umlauted) translated by J. W. Thomas (U. of Nebraska Press.

Regards, Charles