EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
David Centrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:58:12 -0500
Antje Pfannkuchen,

Scott Eastham (a religeous studies guy) published this treatise that expores
Pound's relation to geometric concepts in Dante (crystal spheres).  Eastham
also explores Pound's interest in mathmatics and talks about the discovery
of the scientific relevance of the double-helix.  Eastham's book contains
extensive discussions of Pound's reading of Confucius (holism).

Eastham, Scott. _Paradise & Ezra Pound: The Poet as Shaman_.  Lanham:
University Press of America, 1983.

At 06:47 PM 9/14/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear listmembers,
>
>here's another female studying Pound.
>As I noticed by now there seem to be several people on this list who used
>to know Pound personally. What I am extremely interested in is Pound's
>sources for his scientific knowledge. I was up to now unable to find any
>written reference of his about what books he was reading, or with whom he
>was talking. I'm especially concerned with the early years up to about
>1920. He used examples and metaphors out of mathematics and physics in so
>many of his texts, but never gives a hint where he got it from. It must
>have been "in the air" at that time, but I'd still love to know a little
>more about his way of studying and his sources. Probably there's no one on
>this list who knew him then, but did he later read real "hardcore science"
>literature? Or at least popular versions of the up-to-date-theories besides
>Allen Upward who seems to have known less than Pound? What about his
>pseudonym Helmholtz that he used in 1914? Do you suspect he ever read
>Hermann von H.?
>
>Antje Pfannkuchen
>

>PS: Since Jacob Korg mentioned Mary de Rachewiltz as a prominent
>participant of Pound-scholarship. Is there a possibility to get in contact
>with her? Does anyone know her (e-) mail address?

David Centrone