EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Francis P. Gavin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:00:59 -0700
We have here young Wei. He is a victim of pseudoataraxia. When pseudoataraxia
strikes it leaves its victims without humor but compensates by an overinfusion
of melodramatic sensibility. If left untreated, pseudoataraxia results in an
overweening sense of subjectivity masked as critical thinking. This may
eventually become so acute that the victim comes to think of himself as the
principal and chief moderator regarding any discussion. Symptoms include
condescension, a lack of continuity in presentation, elision of facts, and the
need to talk over and/or shout down correspondents.

There is no known cure. But there is hope. Given money, and time, young Wei
can start saving up now for that day when a new personality can readily be
purchased. It might not be the *best* personality, but it may at least put Wei
in the wonderful if not terribly exciting world of the true ataractic, where
Wei can then, like his idol Marcus Brutus, find his Wu and eliminate the many
instances where he put himself and everybody else in Yu.

So find it in your hearts to give. When Wei comes pronouncing at your virtual
door, give.     Give until it hurts. Or Wei will hurt you till you give. And
before you know it even Grampaw's fluttering gwei ji will have to admit. We
got Wu Wei *all over* this damn list.

GAVIN

Unlike most children Wei was born without a sense of humor. Other children
laugh or tell jokes or with time learn to see the humor in even the bleakest
of situations.