EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Luca Gallesi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 22:21:30 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: Leon Surette <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 5:42 PM
Subject: Proudhon

> Carrol Cox asked if Pound ever read Proudhon. S o far as  I know he did
not,
> but he did read Gesell, and Gesell was a self-declared Proudhonian. I have
> offered a paper on Pound & Proudhon for the Paris conference next year.
Come
> and hear it.
>
> Leon Surette
> English Dept.
> University of Western Ontario
> London, Ont.
> N6A 3K7

 I am quite sure that Pound read Proudhon during the Repubblica Sociale
Italiana.I remember having read something about Proudhon his letters to the
Minister of Popular Culture Mezzasoma and in his letters to Ubaldo degli
Uberti.
One of these letters is translated in Heyman's "The Last Rower" (page 336,
Citadel Press), where EP states: "We must remember that Mussolini and Gesell
both preferred Proudhon to Marx"
 Again, we may infer Pound's reading of Proudhon in his obituary for Orage
(Selected prose, pag 410):  "Proudhon will be found somewhere in the
foundations of perhaps all contemporary economic thought that has life in
it".

Luca Gallesi
via Lario 13
 20159 Milano Italia