Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:55:58 EST
In a message dated 11/5/00 1:16:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> With Quinnipiac's good showing in the frozen reaches of NY state and Sacred
>  Heart (a team with a youth hockey rink for its home ice) knocking off the
>  pride of Ivy League and ECAC hockey in their own inhospitable barn-
>
>  the MAAC is moving up

Looking at this weekend in microcosm, maybe.  Quinnipiac's tie at SLU was a
surprise, but the score of the Clarkson game wasn't indicative of how much
the Knights dominated the game.  I didn't see the game, but those who did
said that Q's first goal in the third period didn't even cross the line.
Whatever is the truth, Clarkson built a 4-0 lead and seemed to coast through
the end of the game (not a good thing, either).  But being outshot 43-22
really doesn't sound to me like Quinnipiac was able to keep up.

It does say a lot about how fine a goaltender Justin Eddy is, though. 97
saves in one weekend is incredible.  His 57 saves at Saint Lawrence is again
what kept them in the game, since the Braves could only muster 20 of their
own.  I thought it was funny, though, when Eddy was quoted after the SLU game
as saying his team played "just awesome defense." Hello -- 57 shots?

Congrats to Sacred Heart on their win at Cornell.  As you said, its a good
win in a tough building.  I believe its the MAAC's first win against an ECAC
team.  It was bound to happen sooner or later, what better time than
Cornell's first game of the season?

Todd Nielson
Crease Monkey Hockey WWW Site
http://members.aol.com/todnielson/creasemonkey.html