From:
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:31:31 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Originally I was thinking of on-campus sites of the 4 top seeds, but the
 prospect of getting to an out of the way location with few hotel rooms on
 short notice would seem to have more harm than good.

You don't mean like Potsdam or Canton, do you? :-)

I'd have to agree with Joe on this one.  Not all of the "host" schools have
arenas large enough to do a regional justice, and aren't in towns large
enough to house and feed all the visitors.

Personally, I would love to see a regional hosted in - of all places -
Syracuse, partly because it is close to home, but also because it would be a
tremendous shot in the arm for local hockey here.  Pretty much everyone on
the list is aware of what a joke the SIT is - modest fields, really bad
attendance, dowdy building.  Attendance is poor because of an almost total
lack of publicity, and the top teams stay away as a direct result (i.e. who
wants to play in an empty building?).  But the War Memorial actually did a
terrific job hosting the AHL All-Star Game a couple of years ago, and the
prospect of hosting a "national" event may be enough to spur some needed
updates. Maybe an event like this would show the SIT boys a thing or two, and
leave a truer lasting impression in Syracuse of just what college hockey is.

With so many D-I teams in the area (Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell, Saint
Lawrence, Niagara and Canisius all within a couple of hours) it is a fairly
central location for college hockey.  The arena seats about 6500, so it may
be a little on the smallish side.  Then again, the Worcester Centrum wasn't
exactly filled to the rafters last year either.  Maybe 6500 isn't such a bad
number after all.

And maybe - just maybe - the talk in this town might for once shift from NCAA
Squeakball.

Just my .02 for a Tuesday morning.

-Todd Nielson, Clarkson '86
Crease Monkey Hockey WWW Site