From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:50:51 -0600
> Not gonna happen.  Taylor will be coach of the year for about the 4th time,
> which certainly begs the question of why a guy who is repeatedly canonized
> for leading his team to incredible improvements in their standing isn't
> also considered somehow responsible for the horrible years that team
> endures to set up his "comebacks".  Teflon evidentally is not solely an
> ingrediant used in the making of half-baked political ideologues...
>
> I applaud Yale for their good season, but Grillo is a *much* better choice
> for COTY.  Of course, the league's best coach still hasn't won the award --
> but since it's the only league hardware he hasn't carried off, somehow I
> doubt he cares.

All right -- enough already  :-)  We hear 'ya

Actually - though - I don't see how you can criticize Taylor.  He should
win the award hands down.

I see your point about the bad seasons, which sets up the comebacks ...
but Yale's most recent stretch of poor seasons can be, in this instance,
directly attributable to Taylor leaving for the Olympics in '94. It
ruined recruiting for years.

Now, it's a plausible opinion to say that's partly Taylor's fault too.
Some people say he was so down after the Olympics, that he wasn't into
it for a while.  Maybe that's true and that also hurt recruiting.

But that has nothing to do with his coaching ability - which shouldn't
be questioned - in my opinion.

AW