From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:32:29 -0600
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Eric J. Burton wrote:

> hockey. Wanle$$ was quoted in the paper as saying that UND will not have
> Women's hockey until the state of North Dakota has a girls high school
> hockey program in place. Even though there are only 5 players from ND on
> the men's ice hockey team. That is comical and pathetic, and vintage
> Wanle$$. Women's hockey made great strides during the last couple of years.

I think it may be more of a concern relating to fan base, and grassroots
support, than anything else. If there is a solid base of girls' hockey,
then there is a base from which UND can draw fan support.

I'd like to see UND with a women's team, if only for the easy road trip
from Manitoba. :-)

> *At an Ice Sharks Game a couple of weeks ago I heard a few NDSU fans talking
> about how fun it would be to have a college hockey team. I agree, could
> you imagine UND and NDSU playing a game against each other that had sticks.
> Now that would be exciting. Maybe they could hire Rocky Hager to coach
> the team. :@) I think it is time that the city of Fargo made the proper
> arrangements to field a NCAA division one hockey team.

I think it's more of an NDSU decision than a City of Fargo one. The
problem for NDSU is that if they were to upgrade their club team, they'd
basically have to play D-I.

What arrangements are you talking about? The Fargo Coliseum would be O.K.
for a Division I team. It's a little small by WCHA standards, but it's
certainly doable. It's not as big as Englestad, but it's no OSU Ice Rink
either.

> It would only be good for the two schools.

Do you think an NDSU team would take away from UND's fan base at all?

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards