Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 20:00:18 PST
In my halycon days at RPI through the 80's, one continous theme was
preached; "If they never score, you never lose". Goalies can lose games
and tie games so, it must be defense first and wait for the breaks.
(With apologies to Jim Tortarella current Colby coach but once a Maine
goaltender who scored in an RPI Christmes Tournament game when he iced
the puck and the opposite netminder missed it ).
I once heard Jack Parker call forechecking.. "the art of playing defense
in the offensive zone.
The best coaches teach ..defense before offense.
Bob Saunders