Sender:
From:
Daniel Orchard-Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 04:22:29 GMT
It was quite apparent to hockey fans at RPI's Houston Field House tonight
that the RPI Engineers are serious about their quest for an ECAC championship.
The Engineers came out fired up and played three periods of solid hockey to
handily defeat pesky Colgate 5-1.

The first period started out under RPI's control, but that shifted fairly
quickly as Colgate flooded the RPI zone and managed to keep the puck in for
nearly 5 minutes.  But Neil Little was back in force tonight and was
spectacular for 58 1/2 minutes.  He stopped 20 of Colgates 21 shots before a
little lapse allowed a Colgate player to sneak one between the post and his
pad with 1:30 showing on the clock.

Tonight's game showed the RPI team that I've been bragging about for much of
the year.  For most of the game they hustled to the puck, passed crisply, and
generally man-handled Colgate.  Though they still didn't play 60 minutes of
hockey, RPI certainly showed some of that teamwork that they used to beat
Harvard just a few short weeks ago.

My biggest concern tonight was with the reffing.  I don't really know what is
wrong with Harry Ammian, but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder when it
comes to reffing RPI.  He and Rob Hearn were fairly pathetic for most of the
game, though they did make some good calls late in the game to dispel any
potential fights.  I was duly unimpressed with the overall quality of this
weekend's reffing, though perhaps that is simply a reflection of the two teams
who were playing.

I have to once again reiterate my feelings towards the Colgate hockey team.  I
have very little respect for their style of hockey.  This team is basically
made up of guys who are slower and heavier than most of the ECAC and they make
up for their deficiencies by clutching, grabbing, and generally roughing up
the opposing team.  I don't want to be totally unfair since RPI did it's fair
share of roughing, especially on Friday night, but Colgate is much worse than
the Engineers.  To make my point, Jon Pirrong was clobbered over the head as
he stood next to Colgate's Marcel Reauchard (sp?) awaiting a face-off.  Yes,
it was one of the best drawn penalties of the weekend, but it also very clearly
showed the mentality of this Colgate hockey team.  Sorry if I offended
anyone. :-)

The only bad note about this game is Neil Little losing his first potential
shutout of his college career.  The worst part is that it came in the last 2
minutes of the game with RPI on the POWER PLAY.  RPI lost control of the puck
in the zone and 3 Colgate players broke out against two RPI defenders with a
third guy hustling back.  Whoever was carrying the puck crossed the blue-line
skated down the right wing circle and fired a quick shot between the post and
Neil's left leg.  It was very much Neil's fault but nonetheless it is
frustrating not only to Neil but to the fans as well.  To his credit, he
received a standing ovation from the crowd after the goal.  Like I've said,
he's the key to RPI's success.

For those of you planning on going to Lake Placid I would greatly appreciate
info on any places that I might possibly stay overnight.  Also, any of you
interested in getting together Friday night after the games or on Saturday
during the day, please e-mail me so we can make arrangements.

SEE YOU IN LAKE PLACID!!!

--Dan

--
Daniel Orchard-Hays        Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute             '95
"Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin."