Sender:
- The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:55:53 -0500
7BIT
From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Indulis R Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Major Juniors in Canada

> I spotted the following item in yesterday's Charley Walters (St. Paul
> Pioneer Press) column:
>
> "There is talk of the NCAA allowing college hockey players to play major
> juniors in Canada while retaining college eligibility for their senior
> season..."
>
> Anybody know any details about this? Does this mean that a college player
> could leave to play in Canada, then come back to their college team? Is
> the NCAA going soft?

This has been pretty well-covered.  I seem to recall a discussion on
this list, but even if I'm not right about that, U.S. College Hockey
Online has good coverage in articles by Adam Wodon.

It's part of a larger overhaul by the NCAA of their amateur
restrictions.  I believe these are being driven primarily by some
individual sports like tennis, but obviously it has the potentially to
seriously re-arrange the college and junior landscape in hockey (and
probably other sports as well).  Last I knew, the change was still
being held up by college basketball, though I don't recall what their
concerns were.  AFAIK, hockey got the change they wanted that will
still allow kids to do a year of prep without losing eligibility, so
they're satisfied within the parameters of what the NCAA plans to do.

--
 Craig Powers                   NU ChE class of '98
 [log in to unmask]       http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/c/cpowers

"Good..bad....I'm the guy with the gun." -- "Ash" in *Army of Darkness*