ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:14:52 EST
Shawn will go to whatever situation presents itself THAT IS BEST FOR HIS
FAMILY.  He would not be Shawn if he didn't do the responsible thing for his
wife and kids.  However, quality of life factors hugely into that equation
with them, so I doubt "Zoo-Mass" would tempt him too awfully much.  The
biggest thing I consider against Shawn/"Zoo-Mass" would be that it is in the
same league.  He is the type of man who likes challenges, and new frontiers,
not more of the same stuff.

However, are there any AHL jobs opening up?  I could see him tempted to go on
to the next level.  Who knows?  You can't expect winning coaches to be
satisfied with the lower-than-anywhere-else-salaries (no matter if it is
still a lot of money) or with fighting the University of Maine for every
penny to fund their programs.  Taxpayers do not fund UMaine well.  The
Athletic Department is chronically short of money and morale in the
department is very, very low.  An AHL team job might have some of those same
problems, but the challenge would tempt him.  It might be the better thing
for both him and UMaine.  Right now his name is synonymous with UMaine, which
remains both terrific and awful, depending on your geographic location,
apparently.  When he does leave, though, the U will have a hard time
replacing his ability to sell Maine.  He has always done a marvelous ob of
that.  And if Shawn left, would Grant remain?  I'd be very sad if Grant left,
as he and his wisdom, his ability to analyze and communicate with the kids
would be a huge loss, too.  Who would come here as head coach?

Luckily, there is no point in speculation until there is a problem, right?
Besides, UNH folks are telling us this?  HAH!  Tell them to go talk to their
tractors!

GO MAINE!

Cathy Hart