Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1992 02:19:45 EST
Well, I've waited a long time to post something like this. Earlier this
evening Dartmouth defeated Northeastern 5-4 to win the Auld Lang Syne
tournament at UNH (they defeated UNH 4-3 the previous night). The last time
Dartmouth won this tournament was in 1981. From the broadcast (I wasn't
there) it sounded like both teams played well and the difference was really
Vern Guetens, the Dartmouth goalie (48 saves, tournament MVP), although the
entire team played consistently and well. They have continued to improve
throughout the season and 1993 looks to be much more enjoyable than the past
several years!

I feel really glad for the players who have struggled for a LONG time (many
years) to get to where they are. A number of the earlier games this year were
1 or 2 point losses (often with an empty-netter at the end) against some good
teams. Dartmouth seemed to be playing well but could not win. Tonight (and
last night) they proved that they could win and in fact proved that they
could win a big game. In this tournament they managed to come from behind on
5 separate occasions and had very strong powerplays as well.

It seems clear that the team has turned a corner and can give most teams a
run for their money on any given night. I can't wait for January.

Have a happy new years eve.

Bob Gross