From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:35:35 -0800
--- Mike Abegg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Of the two, I suspect UMass-Dartmouth caught on quicker than UMass-Lowell,
> both were renamed I think in the late '80s (UML was University of Lowell,
> UMD was Southeastern Massachusetts University - so it went from SMU to
> UMD!)
>
> I know when I left Boston in '95 it was still virtually universal to refer
> to the Hockey East school in Lowell as simply "Lowell" (or maybe even the
> Lowell Chiefs!) than as UMass-Lowell (and eventually the UMass-Lowell
> RiverHawks).  'Course we called them the Fighting Package Handlers because
> their old rink was across the street from the big UPS facility and UPS had
> about half the advertising time during games.  But maybe "Fighting" was a
> mistake?

Wasn't UMass Lowell born when Lowell Tech merged with Lowell State College?

> The rant about abbreviations reminds me of a cheer that I suspect was a
> Harvard original (as these sorts of cheers often are): "Hey UMass, why are
> you called UMass?  Because you can't spell University, or because you
> can't spell Massachusetts?"

Reminds me of the story of a college age kid who gets in the Express Lane with a cart full of
groceries.  The clerk asks him, "You from MIT and can't read, or Harvard and can't count?"

> BTW, calling it "Cape Cod" would imply that there's another Cape that's as
> important, and of course there isn't...it's the Cape, everything else
> needs a modifier. ;-P
>

> Moller Edward N wrote:
. . .
> > 	The Cape (which is not to be confused with Cape Ann) (why can't
> > we just say Cape Cod?)

Of course it wouldn't get confused with Cape Ann.  Cape Ann is "Glostah".

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com