From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:23:12 -0400
The small gift that each attendee received last night at the BC hockey
banquet was a commemorative puck with one side reading as follows:

Around the outside: BOSTON COLLEGE National Champions
In the center: The BC logo, letters B,C with an Eagle
In smaller print, the year 20 - 01 straddling the logo,
and the teams/score of the final game, Boston College 3, North Dakota 2 OT
At the bottom of the center section, the letters: NCAA.

We were amused by the licensing marks that were included:  The words "Boston
College" were marked with a "Registered" mark (2 places.)  The words
"North Dakota" were marked with a "Trademark" mark.  The BC logo was marked
with a "trademark" mark.  The "NCAA" was marked with a "registered" mark.
The only things on the puck that weren't somehow registered or trademarked
were the year, 2001, the score digits 3 and 2, the OT, and the words
"National Champions".  (Looks like there is still a marketing opportunity
there, eh?  Can you trademark "national champions"?)

It got me to wondering:  Are we all in violation of some sort of law
by mentioning the names of teams without including the proper trademark or
registered mark?  :-))

(I suppose it is only the "official" name in a particular font/color that
is trademarked, but even the plain black team names with the score had the
marks, which made me suspicious ...)
Rick McAdoo                        [log in to unmask]
"Volunteer reporter"               A satisfied BC fan.  GO EAGLES!