From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:20:56 -0400
Notes from the 52nd Annual Boston College Pike's Peak Hockey Club Banquet,
held Sunday afternoon/night April 22, 2001:

Awards:
Academic (for seniors) - Achievement (highest GPA) to Dan Sullivan.
   Advisor's Award (4-year efforts) to Marty Hughes.

John A. (Snooks) Kelley Memorial Award, to the player who best typifies
   Boston College Hockey - shared by 3 seniors - Marty Hughes, Rob Scuderi,
   Mike Lephart.  (Hughes had the best line of the night from my perspective
   when he accepted this one, saying, with a perplexed/bemused look on his
   face, "I don't know what to say.  I've been up here twice already and
   Gionta's still in his seat.")

William J. Flynn Coaches' Award - Mark McLennan.

James E. Tiernan Memorial Award, for most improved player - shared by
   Jeff Giuliano and Brooks Orpik.

Norman F. Dailey Memorial Award, for most valuable player - shared by 3
   seniors - Brian Gionta, Bobby Allen, Scott Clemmensen.

Captains for 2001-2002 season: Captain Jeff Giuliano, Assistant Captains
   Ales Dolinar, Brooks Orpik.

Notes:
It was no surprise that the turnout for this year's banquet was much larger
than usual, with the 2001 championship win.  Attendance was almost double
the previous year, which filled the hall to bursting at the Lantana.  Made
it a bit hard to meet and greet friends, but probably kept the drinking
down to a manageable level (a good thing, from my point of view ... :-)) )

The focus tonight was on the 8 seniors, after they finish their careers as
the most successful group in BC history with 4 consecutive Frozen Four
appearances, 3 finals, and at long last an NCAA championship.  They were
helped immensely by a great freshman class, but all the attention was paid
to the seniors all night long, and deservedly so.  Most of the awards went
to seniors, and most were shared, as it is hard to leave out anyone when
you have so much success to honor.  Lots of speeches and related hoo-haw,
of course.  Everyone was in a very upbeat mood and seemed to enjoy it,
especially the players.  (Who wouldn't enjoy all the accolades and
congratulations from virtual strangers all night long?)

There was a special award to honor retiring Harvard A.D. Bill Cleary, who
made a brief speech and thanked the team for proving that the "small guys"
could still win.

Personal comments:
Last year I commented that I enjoyed watching the 1999-2000 Eagles more than
any other year I had followed the team, with all the success they had and
the fun they produced.  This year's team outdid that, of course culminating
things with the championship.  But more than that, they were a TEAM in the
true sense of the word, getting all they could out of their talent, enjoying
playing the game, playing hard every night, and working together under the
strong leadership of the seniors and the coaches.  While I don't know the
players personally, and don't get to see them in their less-public moments,
this group certainly came across as nice kids, genuinely grateful for the
applause sent their way, and appreciative of all the help and support they
received from everyone.  They knew they had something special, and worked
as hard as they could to achieve as much as they could -- they set their
goals at the beginning of the season, and achieved virtually all of them,
including the Beanpot, Hockey East regular season and tournament
championships, and the NCAA title.  A very special year to be sure.

The bond between the seniors was especially strong this year, it seemed.
They all lived together for 4 years, all proclaimed to be best friends, and
it seemed to be across the whole group, from the stars like Brian Gionta to
the role players and to Dan Sullivan, who played sparingly.  They accepted
their roles, whatever they were, and shared all their successes.  One of
the best things about the season was the sense that these players deserved
all the triumphs they enjoyed, both for the people they were and the way
they played.

There were 4 players I especially admired over the years in this group:

Mark McLennan - Mark was a role player, a 4th-line player who added depth
and hustle to the lineup.  Not a big scorer, though he could occasionally
get the big goal, but his line was a large factor this year in the way
they could play against almost any opposing line and forecheck fiercely.
They allowed the coaches to extend the other teams and wear them down while
not having to overwork the top lines.  Mark didn't get much fanfare or
attention; I was happy to see him get the Coaches' Award, and he seemed
tickled pink at the honor when I spoke with him after the banquet.

Brian Gionta - Brian was a star from his freshman year, and both admired
and (at times) hated by the opposition.  His style of play was in-your-face,
and he was most successful at it.  Despite his gaudy numbers and on-ice
persona, he is a very humble and nice kid with a dynamic personality, and
with tons of confidence and leadership qualities.  He was a natural captain,
and this was "his" team - he was the spark and the fire that made it all go.
I had the pleasure of knowing his family over his 4 years at BC, and it is
obvious where he gets all his good traits.  A nicer, friendlier group of
folks you will never meet.  We all wish him the best in his efforts to
prove to the NHL that a small guy with a big heart can still make it.

Scott Clemmensen - It was amazing to see the transformation of Scott from
a up-and-down freshman goalie, to a strong, confident, consistent leader that
took his team to the ultimate championship -- at least in the eyes of the
public.  Internally, he has always had a calm confidence, and his teammates
always trusted him to take them as far as they could go.  His comments at
the dinner reflected that, as he (sort of) implied that he was happy as long
as he knew his teammates believed in him, and it didn't matter what the
outside world thought.  I always defended Scott as better than people gave
him credit for, and it wasn't until this year that he finally got the
approval that he deserved.  His personality fit this team well, and he
provided a strength and determination (especially when speaking to the team
before the overtime in the final) that carried them to the end.  He's not
the greatest goalie of all time, but he was always better than the abuse he
got over his first couple of years.  He well deserved his MVP award.

Rob Scuderi - Rob is the best, most unsung defenseman in recent history at
BC.  He entered as a freshman overshadowed by other high-profile players,
and has rarely sought or received the spotlight.  He played strong,
controlled hockey, and rarely made a mistake or was beaten one-on-one.
Along with Clemmensen, he was a large part of the reason that the BC
defense was always stronger than the opposition expected, especially in
the playoffs.  When you play for a high-scoring team, the D is often
overlooked.  Rob was the type of player who thrived in that environment,
doing his job and letting others take the glory.  I think he can succeed in
the pros if put in the right situation, and I hope he gets a chance to
prove himself.

I know I am not saying anything that couldn't be said for lots of players
on almost all the teams in NCAA hockey, at least in terms of their character
and how they interact with the public.  That is one of the reasons that I
support Div. I hockey more than the other higher-profile sports in the
college ranks.  While it is a form of professional hockey, the players are
still student-athletes for the most part and not caught up in the egos, bad
behavior, and lack of interest in going to class that afflict basketball
and football so much.  (I know, there are examples of hockey players with
these problems, too -- just not nearly so many.)

I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't state once again how happy the BC
faithful have been with the Jerry York years at BC (no surprise there) and
the support from A.D. Gene DeFilippo.  A far cry from the chaos of a few
years back and the clueless Chet Gladchuk.

Overall this was a most satisfying season for BC fans.  We remember the dark
days of the early-mid 90's, and how all the opposing teams/fans enjoyed
beating up on the Eagles.  It's a lot more fun this way, to be sure.

We were able to take Michigan Tech off our list of teams we haven't seen in
person due to our visit to the GLI tournament this year.  The list we haven't
seen live is down to: UAF, Ferris, Western Michigan, UNO, Mankato, Niagara,
Findlay, UAH, and Bemidji.

-- Rick M.
Rick McAdoo                        [log in to unmask]
"Volunteer reporter"               A satisfied BC fan.  GO EAGLES!