From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:52:29 -0700
Well, Bill, from an academic viewpoint I would say this is what you get
with money greedy overhyped Division One sports, but I won't :-)

(BTW, my first taste of this kind of stuff was in grad school with the
HUGE slush fund scandal at the U of Illinois, Urbana, in the mid to late
60s.... that one started with football and spilled over into every
aspect, resulting in fired coaches, lost players ... and total
embarassment, not to mention many losing seasons to follow. Needless to
say, it has colored my feeling towards big time college sports ever
since. It was related to HUGE amounts of illegal money given from an
alumni association directlyt to players for plane tickets home, cars, etc.)

Grades are changed all the time, I have changed a few due to calculation
errors myself .... but if it were done under pressure from the athletic
side, then it is clearly wrong and something that cannot be tolerated.

Just my two pesos from California.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64